The Kings County Library is pleased to offer laptop check-out services to patrons within some of our libraries. Libraries that offer laptop check-out will also provide free wireless interent connections. Patrons will be able to access the library wireless network with a library laptop, their own laptop or electronic device. All library wireless users must agree to abide by the Library Laptop Computer Use Agreement, Computer Guidelines and Internet Safety and Minors at the Library.
Limits and Availability
- Library laptops are for use within library buildings only. Laptops taken outside the building will be considered stolen and the police will be notified.
- An eligible patron may borrow only one laptop at a time.
- Laptop computers are available on a first come, first served basis. They may not be reserved in advance.
- Patrons may not alter, delete, copy, tamper with any software loaded on the laptop or otherwise change its existing configuration. Patrons may not install software on the laptops.
- The Library is not responsible for damage to an external device (i.e. a flash drive or other external device) or for the loss of data that may occur while the laptop is in use.
- Patrons that owe more than $5.00 will be denied checkout of a laptop.
- Laptops are not checked out the last hour the library is open.
- Printing is available from laptops. Patrons will be charged 25 cents per printed page for black & white ALL items printed. Color printing is available for $1.00 per page. Patrons are urged to save their work on their own external memory device. All documents are automatically deleted when the laptop is turned off.
- Audio and video files must be played with headphones.
- Patrons must surrender their library card at checkout and show the staff member current photo ID. Failure to do so will result in a denial of laptop checkout privileges. No exceptions.
- Patrons must sign our Library Laptop Checkout Policy Agreement
- Patrons may not checkout a laptop then loan to another user. Patrons caught engaging in this activity will have their laptop privileges suspended for one month.
- At the time of checkout, a staff member will inspect the laptop to make sure it is intact and running properly. The borrower will then inital the check list in front of the staff member.
- The staff member wil then checkout the laptop to the patron's library card.
- The checkout period is 2 hours.
- A fine of $5.00 per hour will charged for overdue laptop comuters.
- When returning the laptop, the borrower must allow at least 5 minutes for a staff member to check the equipment.
- The staff member will verify that all parts are present and the comptuer and all accessories are in good working order.
- The laptop will be booted and checked for functionality upon return.
- The borrower will sign and date the checklist to complete the transaction.
- The laptop will then be checked in from the borrower's account
Fines and Liability
- A patron's privilege to check out a laptop may be removed for one month if the patron fails to return the laptop at the due time or leaves before the check-in procedure is complete
- Laptops that are later than 4 hours will be considered stolen and the police will be notified.
- Laptops are equipped with tracking software for theft detection
- Under no circumstances should a borrower leave a laptop unattened. The library will not be responsible for a stole laptop even when it is used within the Library.
- Charges for Lost and Damaged equipent are as follows:
- Laptop: $1,200.00
- Cracked screen: $200.00
- Lost Headphones: $10.00
- Lost Power Cord: $10.00
- Lost Mouse: $5.00
- Overdue Laptop: $5.00 per hour
Adopted by the Kings County Board of Supervisors on: February 14, 2012